Football
Sponsored by

Recruiting trail becoming a muddy bog?

2,169 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 8 days ago by Noghri
boykin_spaniel
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Rivals released a 10 biggest recruiting snubs/flips of April and we were 3 of them. It is still very early and 17-18 year old kids act like 17-18 year kids, but positive momentum is better than backwards momentum.

https://n.rivals.com/news/sting-factor-april-s-biggest-recruiting-burns?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAAPuEP4By4GjiHFYzFxuHIPhxFGaJ3r2qQMJRxaxy9LAJ8YVH9rEx_0EjODKbFau8uJ_3-A8AxRVqF2ozQuwkg7OFCcy3XLfkotaKVGMllqMY7MqFII4QgrCcQPxulWjMm-fpHT0bgM-z8sl_eXgA0TrjwsiAWVa004rzycxEBXh
Daveisabovereproach
In before the "not a big loss" folks show up

Honestly, Aranda sucks at developing players, and he knows it, so he's focused his attention to recruiting veteran G5 players from the portal. he's pulling out all the stops to hit that awesome six win mark which will allow him to retain his job for at least another year
bear2be2
Daveisabovereproach said:

Honestly, Aranda sucks at developing players, and he knows it, so he's focused his attention to recruiting veteran G5 players from the portal. he's pulling out all the stops to hit that awesome six win mark which will allow him to retain his job for at least another year
You waste way too much time and energy arguing with and complaining about people who don't exist.

You don't need to whine about Aranda and complain about the state of our program constantly. First, most agree that Dave has done a poor job overall. And second, he's literally in a win or get fired situation. He's either going to win enough games this year to keep his job or he's going to get fired.

Those who have decided to sit back and watch without *****ing incessantly aren't offering unwavering support for Aranda or defending the state of our program. We've just accepted the reality of our situation.

I'm going to continue to root for Dave Aranda because if he succeeds, Baylor succeeds. And if he doesn't succeed, we'll have a new and better coach next season. Either outcome is a win from my perspective.
Daveisabovereproach
dude, respond to the original post in question, but quit trying to start stuff with me. You know you suck Dave's wang more than just about anybody on this website. You also know absolutely nothing about football as we saw in the game thread last year with you pooping yourself in the Texas Tech game because you wanted to pass the ball every play. It's probably just time that you put me on ignore and pony up the money to go read endless articles on the premium board about why Dave's got this under control, and losing all these recruits isn't a big deal. I promise you that you will get hundreds of blue stars over there if you need validation that badly
Daveisabovereproach
By the way, Mack is still waiting on that latte. Remember, iced, soy milk, two Splenda
bear2be2

dude, respond to the original post in question, but quit trying to start stuff with me. You know you suck Dave's wang more than just about anybody on this website. You also know absolutely nothing about football as we saw in the game thread last year with you pooping yourself in the Texas Tech game because you wanted to pass the ball every play. It's probably just time that you put me on ignore and pony up the money to go read endless articles on the premium board about why Dave's got this under control, and losing all these recruits isn't a big deal. I promise you that you will get hundreds of blue stars over there if you need validation that badly
If you think I "suck Dave's wang," you're a ****ing idiot in addition to being this board's most annoying poster. Few have been more critical of Dave Aranda than I have or were more disappointed when he was retained than I was.

But it is what it is. The decision's been made and no amount of whining is going to change it. Grow a pair, be an adult and move on. If Dave fails again, he'll be gone by November and the recruiting class we're currently assembling will dissolve anyway. And if he doesn't, that's good for Baylor and its fans.
bear2be2

By the way, Mack is still waiting on that latte. Remember, iced, soy milk, two Splenda
If this is like a comedian testing out a new joke with five or six different audiences to gauge its effectiveness, let me do you a favor and tell you it's time to retire this one. It's neither clever or funny. One need not hold our athletic administration particularly high esteem to think this shtick is ****ing stupid.
Cove Dawg
bear2be2 said:

You waste way too much time and energy arguing with and complaining about people who don't exist.

You don't need to whine about Aranda and complain about the state of our program constantly. First, most agree that Dave has done a poor job overall. And second, he's literally in a win or get fired situation. He's either going to win enough games this year to keep his job or he's going to get fired.

Those who have decided to sit back and watch without *****ing incessantly aren't offering unwavering support for Aranda or defending the state of our program. We've just accepted the reality of our situation.

I'm going to continue to root for Dave Aranda because if he succeeds, Baylor succeeds. And if he doesn't succeed, we'll have a new and better coach next season. Either outcome is a win from my perspective.

How dare he express his thoughts and opinions on a message board! Good lord!
bear2be2
Cove Dawg said:

bear2be2 said:

How dare he express his thoughts and opinions on a message board! Good lord!
He can and does express whatever opinions he wants to. But pretending there's some massive Dave Aranda support system here that is squelching his criticism out loyalty to to our staff or administration is both idiotic and delusional.

By the end of last season, you could count on one hand the number of posters on this board who wanted Dave Aranda retained ... and their support for that was tepid at best.

People aren't criticizing his posts because they're carrying water for Rhoades or Aranda. They're criticizing his posts because his shtick is inane and repetitive.
Pastorron
I have tried for three weeks to get someone on the football staff to talk to me. I want to put them on trail of a high school sr. this coming year who plays safety and other places who is 6 4 and 225 with a 7 foot wing span. At least 3 sec teams is after the kid and 2 big 12 plus Ga Tech among others. Anyone have any ideas? I do not want this to be a Billy Vessel story. Ask Ohio State if you do not know what I mean.

b
cowboycwr
bear2be2 said:

Are you claiming the "not a big loss crowd" are the people that don't exist?

Because they surely do. For an example look at the player that transferred out and has now returned. It was "no big loss" when he left and now it is "a great addition" now that he is back. Often from the same posters.
Doc Holliday
bear2be2 said:

The outcome that worries me is we find 6 wins a year acceptable for the next several years. Not enough to get fired, but not enough to win championships.
oorahpa
Losing top recruits is multi level bad. Recruiting is the future. The portal is important but not sound foundational. We need recruiting and player development.

bear2be2
oorahpa said:

Losing top recruits is multi level bad. Recruiting is the future. The portal is important but not sound foundational. We need recruiting and player development.
We're going to lose our entire roster if Aranda fails and gets fired. Worrying about long-term recruiting with a potential lame duck coach is a waste of time and energy IMO.

All that matters right now is the 2024 season. If we don't win this fall, we'll be starting over with a new coach in the offseason anyway. And if we do win, hopefully it will allow us to build some more positive recruiting momentum both with high school and portal talent.
parch
oorahpa said:

I think there's an argument to be made (that the grapevine reinforced at least in the QB Okie Lite took) that Aranda's tenuous job status is having a far more negative impact on his recruiting in 2024 than any actual deficiency of his/his staff's on the recruiting trail. Because it's obvious they're good recruiters all things being equal. But all three of the aforementioned players committed before the 2023 season and decommitted after it.

I bet if you drilled down into these guys we lost or guys who wouldn't commit this round, it had nothing to do with our pitch/NIL/scheme and everything to do with the fact that Aranda's seat is hotter than anyone's in the Big 12. Nobody wants to commit somewhere and lose your entire coaching staff four months into your first season.

As mentioned, whether or not you thought 2023 was, this is a pivot season for Aranda. Either we have a season that rallies recruits and Aranda comes back, or Aranda tanks again and we hit the reset button.

Daveisabovereproach
I think it's all of the above. Recruits know that he is on the hot seat. Recruits know that he goes through coordinators like hotcakes. They know that he doesn't put his own recruits into the NFL. They know that he's on his third offensive scheme in five years. They know that a lot of the highly rated guys that he's brought in have turned out to be busts or have ended up transferring out for one reason or another. They know that they can leverage their commitment at Baylor into a more lucrative NIL offer elsewhere. Lastly (and I admit that this isn't really Arandas fault) I can tell you that we've had a couple recruits decommit because they know that the big 12 is not perceived as a prestigious conference. They don't want their big marquee matchup at Baylor to be versus Texas Tech or Kansas State. That just doesn't move the needle for many recruits.
parch

Lastly (and I admit that this isn't really Arandas fault) I can tell you that we've had a couple recruits decommit because they know that the big 12 is not perceived as a prestigious conference. They don't want their big marquee matchup at Baylor to be versus Texas Tech or Kansas State. That just doesn't move the needle for many recruits.
I would agree all the others you mentioned are legitimate problems except for this one. If a player is good enough to legitimately believe this, there's nothing to be done on our end, because they're already being money-whipped into the SEC or Big 10. And if they're not good enough to legitimately believe this, they're not the type of person we want in our program anyway.

Daveisabovereproach
parch said:

Lastly (and I admit that this isn't really Arandas fault) I can tell you that we've had a couple recruits decommit because they know that the big 12 is not perceived as a prestigious conference. They don't want their big marquee matchup at Baylor to be versus Texas Tech or Kansas State. That just doesn't move the needle for many recruits.
I would agree all the others you mentioned are legitimate problems except for this one. If a player is good enough to legitimately believe this, there's nothing to be done on our end, because they're already being money-whipped into the SEC or Big 10. And if they're not good enough to legitimately believe this, they're not the type of person we want in our program anyway.

Recruits want to play in front of the giant crowds with huge fan bases and a conference that gets tons of attention. I don't think the big 12 is a bad conference, but again, it's the matter of perception. If I get transported back to biblical times, I wouldn't be able to barter my Google stocks for food, because their perceived value is zilch. Bottom line, it is hard to do anything about perception. I do think we want to get those same recruits, however. We already saw a couple years ago how the best of the big 12 could not compete with the best of the SEC. TCU getting destroyed in the national championship game has not done big 12 perception any favors. I'd take that Georgia team in a heartbeat
boykin_spaniel
With an expanded playoff we have more opportunities to make a mark and change the perception. TCU beating Michigan was good but the utter beat down didn't look great. It was one of the greatest teams of all time but still not good.
Daveisabovereproach
I see that Colton Thomason just committed which is a very nice pickup. Good work by Dave and the staff on that one
TinFoilHatPreacherBear

parch said:

Recruits want to play in front of the giant crowds with huge fan bases and a conference that gets tons of attention. I don't think the big 12 is a bad conference, but again, it's the matter of perception. If I get transported back to biblical times, I wouldn't be able to barter my Google stocks for food, because their perceived value is zilch. Bottom line, it is hard to do anything about perception. I do think we want to get those same recruits, however. We already saw a couple years ago how the best of the big 12 could not compete with the best of the SEC. TCU getting destroyed in the national championship game has not done big 12 perception any favors. I'd take that Georgia team in a heartbeat

No doubt all recruits realize we're not the SEC/B10, but the know we're still considered in the top 3 and can be a platform into the NFL. Assuming NIL is not the issue, the recruits that have potential want to play first and foremost. Winning matters but sitting on the bench sucks. Coaches also matter. So there's opportunity in there for the B12 and the P2 middling teams to get great players.
parch

parch said:

Of course, the SEC and the Big 10 are uncatchable monoliths. The stadiums, alumni bases, support systems, revenue figures and prestige (for most) are all incontrovertibly larger at those schools. My point is that it's not even worth sparing a thought, or raking whoever our coach is at the time over the coals, over the recruits who choose schools based on those factors.

If any of those things are paramount to a player in choosing a school, they were never choosing any Big 12 program to begin with.

Which leads to the other problems you mentioned. We need a coach with a very specific vision, schematically, for how to fit a mostly 3-star roster into a competitive position every week. Rhule and Briles both knew how to do this from the jump. It's pretty clear Aranda hasn't to date, and with him running the D and Spav switching the O wholesale, it's either this identity moving forward or a new coaching staff.
Noghri
Send a PM to Brian

That is frustrating and disappointing for the staff to ghost referrals
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.