Football
Sponsored by

What would House v. NCAA settlement mean? A revenue-sharing model to end college

734 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 17 days ago by Harrison Bergeron
gobears20
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
bear2be2
It needs to happen. It's the only thing that can move the revenue sports forward in an orderly, sensible way.

We need revenue sharing and a collectively bargained labor deal before any rules can be instituted to address the utter chaos in those sports currently.
Harrison Bergeron
The question no one seems to want to ask or answer is once the revenue from revenue sports goes to the players, what funds are going to support every other sport as they're virtually all non-revenue?

How does Title IX come into place since football players getting revenue will violate Title IX, no?
OurOurs
Good points. I think about that fallout from time to time.

My own take is that I foresee universities consolidating men's sports to only football and basketball, and then cutting the equivalent number of women's programs and scholarships until it is an equal amount of scholarships to the new, reduced men's number.

Alternatively, Title 9 gets amended or a special scholarship exception is made for students who are also "university employees".

Either way, I think most female college sports will see a significant decline.
CorsicanaBear
I have thought for years that non-revenue men's sports would be on the chopping block everywhere and that olympic sports (men's and women's) were going to be history. Even if there is a Title IV carve out for athletes who are also university employees. But is there some equal pay for equal work issue? Will women's basketball players be required to earn the same as the men, for example?

This mess is brought to you by NCAA ineptitude over many years, greedy/bloated athletic departments, over the top fans, the impossibility of aligning athletic departments with academic missions, and all of this multiplied many times by ridiculous government regulations.

This Gordian Knot needs to be cut, but where and who is the Alexander who can do it?
Illigitimus non carborundum
Harrison Bergeron
Agreed. The only path really is to shutter everything else and be forced to keep a few token women's sports for Title IX. This may call the bigger question around do colleges today need to support athletics in this model? Maybe all the non-revenue sports revert to club teams.
bear2be2
Harrison Bergeron said:

The question no one seems to want to ask or answer is once the revenue from revenue sports goes to the players, what funds are going to support every other sport as they're virtually all non-revenue?

How does Title IX come into place since football players getting revenue will violate Title IX, no?
I think most likely schools will rely more on donors to fund those programs. They'll also likely cut a bunch of unnecessary athletic department positions.

But most of these power conference programs are cooking their books currently. As "nonprofits," they spend money just to spend it right now. Now they'll actually have to steward those resources and set and act upon real priorities going forward.
tmcats
400 athletes x $30,000 each is $12 million/year. that number is achievable for most p4 athletic departments. congress will quickly get involved if schools treat women differently.
CorsicanaBear
They are already spending all of their revenue and asking for donations. There would need to be $12mm in cuts. Notwithstanding the football and basketball players that won't be satisfied with that amount.
Illigitimus non carborundum
tmcats
contracts will be collectively negotiated. one would think that downsizing programs would be crucial for schools like arizona and colorado which are struggling financially under the present system.
Harrison Bergeron
IIRC, there are only 2-3 athletic departments that run in the black.
tmcats

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/i-found-18-profitable-211-money-losing-ncaa-public-scott-hirko-ph-d-
Harrison Bergeron
Thanks. That's awesome.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.