Trazarien White

8,960 Views | 78 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by Mitch Henessey
Quinton
How long do you want to ignore this user?
With this signing, we're now significantly more talented than Iowa st or Houston. But bc of system , cohesion, and defense I agree. One more big signing and we're co with Ku assuming the staff gels.

For context , Roberts will be Houston's best or second best player next year (not leading scorer). Omier is a significantly better player.
IvanBear
In light of (1) an all new staff; and (2) our utter lack of defense the last two years, I think it's reasonable to say even if we have better top end talent we need to prove it on the court to argue we're better than ISU and UH right now.

I think this team still needs defensive chops, and I'm still concerned we're weak at guard as crazy as that sounds. Mostly in the defense department none of our returning guards have shown to me we should assume they'll be decent defenders next year at this point.

Give us a lock down defender someone like a Mark Vital and then I'm starting to like us over ISU and UH. The one and done nature of this team will continue to concern me though.
IowaBear
Roach is solid defensively as is Omier. No idea if Edgecombe can defend or not but he's as elite as they come from an athletic standpoint. So I'm actually confident he can defend at a respectable level.
My only worry is Loves health. Langston has got to stay healthy this year
Crawfoso1973
IvanBear said:

In light of (1) an all new staff; and (2) our utter lack of defense the last two years, I think it's reasonable to say even if we have better top end talent we need to prove it on the court to argue we're better than ISU and UH right now.

I think this team still needs defensive chops, and I'm still concerned we're weak at guard as crazy as that sounds. Mostly in the defense department none of our returning guards have shown to me we should assume they'll be decent defenders next year at this point.

Give us a lock down defender someone like a Mark Vital and then I'm starting to like us over ISU and UH. The one and done nature of this team will continue to concern me though.

I think Omier will potentially transform our team defense. He gives us a physicality at the 4 we haven't had since Sochan. Bridges was solid but at the end of the day he was a wing player playing at the 4.

I don't think we're weak at guard. Roach is a much better defender than RJ was so that's a huge immediate defensive upgrade. I am hoping after an offseason of work Nunn will be improved defensively. He has the athleticism to be at least average, but was lacking in the footwork and the fundamentals. Edge will be an X factor, but he has plus athleticism to work with. He should be a defensive upgrade over Walter who was a very poor defender. Another X factor is the work still remaining in the portal. Hopefully we can get a defensive-minded big to pair with Josh O.
IvanBear
I guess, but I don't think this guard core holds a candle to some of our previous years, we've got lots of guys who are good at one thing or another, but Raoch is the only one you can really look at right now and say he's an all around player.

We can hope VJ and Wright will be, we can hope Nunn can develop, we can hope Love can find some defense and stay healthy. But in the event someone doesn't develop that's why I say having someone who can defend already coming in would be huge. I'm not thinking its a big name that's necessary just someone who can come in and solidly pass and defend. We need to replace Miro Little's guard spot on the roster so this is where I'm thinking that spot hypothetically goes.

I agree if we got a defensive big that would also be huge. Or if we go with another rock star power forward. I just don't see the second power forward thing working because I think we'll start Roach, VJ, Nunn or Love, Omier, and Josh O. Another forward would necessitate putting Josh O on the bench again. We've got to hope he takes the vaunted 3rd year jump in Drew's system we've gotten out of guys like Acy, Jefferson, and the list goes on in the past.
Quinton
I agree. Just giving context on some of our direct competitors. Omier is better than Iowa st and Houston's best forward.

Roach is better overall than Cryer (my view) and right there with Lipsey. So we're talking two of our top three are better players than our two closest competitors.

I agree they have the coaching and defensive advantage at the moment. Hopefully new staff will bring fresh energy on the defensive end
IvanBear
Oh yeah I'm same page, I just think I edge the defense and coheisviness of those squads over us right now.

As excited I am for Omier and Roach, they're one and dones just like Edgecombe, they should be a lot better than VJ for us but I still worry about integration into the system. It's a crap shoot if a team of guys who haven't played a lot together can suddenly become national championship caliber.

Really hoping we get one more mega add, if we're going the route we are. Might as well go for more top flight talent.

setshot
Ivan, you provide a healthy dose of skepticism. You put a lot of thought into your posts and I think I speak for many on here when I say that I appreciate them

Your concern for the defense of the Bears in the upcoming year are based on solid reservations, and the change of personnel on the coaching staff only adds to the validity of those doubts.

I have seen both Roach and Omier, and they are quality defenders who will immediately upgrade the team defense. I have seen Edgecomb and he will have his moments, but overall he has pride and athleticism so he will grow. I have seen Wright several times and he is above average for his playing level. As you point out, that does not necessarily translate laterally to Division I basketball. How many minutes he will get once conference is under way is problematical. Love is a good defender if he is in good playing condition -- we know that of him.

Nunn disappointed last year as a defender, and I am not sure how much he will progress in that regard this year. Like Wright and Edgecomb, Asemota has the reputation of working hard at the defensive end, but what that means at the Big 12 level remains to be seen, as does the amount of minutes he will be assigned. Josh O. improved last year, as others have stated, but he was raw for much of the year and did not meet the standard that big men have to meet if they are to justify their time on the floor. I believe in him and look forward to seeing him continue to improve at both ends of the floor, but this may be hope triumphing over reality.

We will get answers to some of these questions early on, others will take more time. I think that Ivan gets the edge on this one.
Mitch Henessey
White committed to TCU yesterday.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.