Tweety Carter is expected to be promoted to assistant coach

1,817 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 12 days ago by Adriacus Peratuun
gobears20
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Big12Fan2024
Tweety was one of my favorite players, but he ain't suiting up for us. I am more interested in what he's specifically accomplished as a coach. Is he a top notch recruiter? Was he responsible for any of the defensive gameplans last year? Who has he specifically developed? Some good answers to those questions and I'll get excited.

People get too enamored with how someone played and automatically think they'll be great as a coach. Sometimes that's the case. Often it's not. We are in bad need of a top notch veteran defensive coach. When I see that hire I'll get excited.
Crawfoso1973
CSD has seemed to be somewhat, uh, decent at identifying and developing coaching talent. If CSD feels Tweety deserved the promotion I feel decently confident it wasn't because Tweety was a good player over a decade ago.
EvilTroyAndAbed
Big12Fan2024 said:

Tweety was one of my favorite players, but he ain't suiting up for us. I am more interested in what he's specifically accomplished as a coach. Is he a top notch recruiter? Was he responsible for any of the defensive gameplans last year? Who has he specifically developed? Some good answers to those questions and I'll get excited.

People get too enamored with how someone played and automatically think they'll be great as a coach. Sometimes that's the case. Often it's not. We are in bad need of a top notch veteran defensive coach. When I see that hire I'll get excited.

Nobody gives a **** if you get excited or not.
historian
Crawfoso1973 said:

CSD has seemed to be somewhat, uh, decent at identifying and developing coaching talent. If CSD feels Tweety deserved the promotion I feel decently confident it wasn't because Tweety was a good player over a decade ago.

That's putting it mildly: he has a strong coaching tree & growing. Jerome Tang was amazing in his first year at K State: CoY & Elite 8 with a team he had to build from scratch almost. McCasland did well at UNT & had a promising start at Tech. There's no reason to doubt that Jakus will have some success at FAU. Add Paul Mills at Wichita State & Matt Driscoll at North Florida & that's an impressive list.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
Mitch Henessey
I elaborated on this pretty extensively on another thread, but it's pretty clear our coaching staff has specific roles:

- right-hand man, or "head coach in waiting" (in the past several years, this has meant the next HC of another school)
- ace recruiter
- player development coach

All three roles became vacant this off-season. It sounds like we're dipping into the NBA ranks to replace Jakus in the first role, Bill Armstrong will replace Alvin Brooks in the second, and Tweety Carter will replace Bill Peterson in the third role.

Obviously, Scott Drew felt comfortable with the job that Tweety did as Director of Player Development the past 18 months to promote him into an assistant role. If it's good enough for CSD, it's more than good enough for me.
IvanBear
This was always coming at some point, Drew didn't bring Tweety in just as a favor. He was here to develop as a coach and Peterson being dismissed opened that door.

What I'm curious about is who does this mean isn't coming based on Ashley's tweet the other day, Steve Henson and Melvin Hunt are established coaches (even if Henson burned out as a HC). They're not coming to sit at a non staff role I wouldn't think. Tweety's old role on the team is for newcomers to the profession. They're not filling Tweety's old role with an experienced assistant coach.
Crawfoso1973
I know, I meant that tongue-in-cheek
historian
My sarcasm meter was off again!
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
william
tweet!!!

- kkm
POE.
LIB,MR BEARS
william said:

tweet!!!

- kkm
My memories of this movie are much better than the movie itself.

/derail
Jorkel
EvilTroyAndAbed said:

Big12Fan2024 said:

lol!
william
LIB,MR BEARS said:

william said:

tweet!!!
- kkm
My memories of this movie are much better than the movie itself.

/derail
that's how I feel abt Dale - but that's not important now.

- KKM

Go Bears!

Release The Hounds!!

POE.
MashedPotatoes
Mitch Henessey said:

I elaborated on this pretty extensively on another thread, but it's pretty clear our coaching staff has specific roles:

- right-hand man, or "head coach in waiting" (in the past several years, this has meant the next HC of another school)
- ace recruiter
- player development coach

All three roles became vacant this off-season. It sounds like we're dipping into the NBA ranks to replace Jakus in the first role, Bill Armstrong will replace Alvin Brooks in the second, and Tweety Carter will replace Bill Peterson in the third role.

Obviously, Scott Drew felt comfortable with the job that Tweety did as Director of Player Development the past 18 months to promote him into an assistant role. If it's good enough for CSD, it's more than good enough for me.

This may be true, but any hierarchy or roles will not be spelled out by job titles-all 3 are listed as assistant coaches.
Big12Fan2024
EvilTroyAndAbed said:

Big12Fan2024 said:

Apparently you do, Einstein. You responded to my post.
Adriacus Peratuun
Big12Fan2024 said:

Almost two decades of knowing the player/person & a full year of having him on staff likely gave CSD sufficient insight into whether Tweety is a good hire for a AC position focused on recruiting and player development [guards]. Recruiting isn't some technical skill. It is being a people person. Think anyone who has interacted with Tweety more than a few times can answer questions about his people skills. And a decade+ of pro ball is a reasonable sign that he likely has some guard skills to pass on to players.

You are acting like he was hired as HC. He was hired for the most entry level AC position.

Lighten Up Francis.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.