WVU DEI with exorbitant salary

2,430 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 11 days ago by Porteroso
historian
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2023/10/in_west_virginia_vp_of_diversity_emequityem_and_inclusion_makes_several_times_the_salary_of_her_coworkers.html
Johnny Bear
Over $234.5K annually to virtue signal through a wholly made up job that has no real reason to exist. Isn't the insane woke world of modern day academia wonderful??
beardoc
At a school that's cutting multiple academic programs.
historian
Fake academics Trump real academics. That's Bing work for you. It's just like a thick women are more important than real women. The Marxist behind these lies are showing their true colors they hate real women the hate wheel education.
Redbrickbear
beardoc said:

At a school that's cutting multiple academic programs.

That is actually a smart thing that WVU has done.

Most colleges could probably eliminate 1/5th of their programs since so few kids actually major in them and most are a drag on the college budget.

West Virginia only has 1.7 million people and is losing population at a rate of -1% a year and 16% of the population is 65 or older. Only Florida is older by percentage.

WVU should have cut programs long ago and they should be cutting the job of this DEI commissar as well.
Redbrickbear
Realitybites
Its not just academia. These political officers can be found throughout the fortune 500.
ron.reagan
The only place I know of that diversity has a huge advantage would be a w hore house. Obvious countless examples of extremely successful companies coming out of Asia with a near 100% non-diverse workforce.

I doubt this person actually does much to contribute but I don't mind state universities making efforts to increase diversity.

In the private sector I've frequently been the guy that made everyone switch to their non-native language. Effectively decreasing efficiency by bringing my diversity to the table.
Porteroso
Diversity itself isn't a problem for America, the problem is what progressives have in mind when they say diversity.
historian
Good point. True diversity (ideas, perspectives, etc) can be useful in some circumstances but the Left only cares about the superficial variety. So people get into college, an executive position, a cabinet job, judge, or press secretary simply because they "checked the right boxes". This results in a great deal of incompetence & boneheaded mistakes that are costly. It also weakens the institution that does this whether it's a university, corporation or the government. The Biden Administration provides too many examples to count. But so do many universities & top corporations.
Porteroso
You can understand the problem though. It is a serious issue that minorities are so under-represented in many areas. Anyone who spends any time at all problem solving it knows they can't really fix the core problems. So a med school for example, has to determine what they want to do about the fact that they accept mostly whites and Asians. Throw in societal pressure and you can see why they feel like they have to be on board with some DEI program.

I hate DEI too, having sat through a few DEI sessions, but I also understand the issue of racial disparities in America and its significance, not to mention its current hold over society.
Fre3dombear
Social Justice Fallacies is a great book.
historian
There are so many of them
Redbrickbear
Harrison Bergeron
Porteroso said:

You can understand the problem though. It is a serious issue that minorities are so under-represented in many areas. Anyone who spends any time at all problem solving it knows they can't really fix the core problems. So a med school for example, has to determine what they want to do about the fact that they accept mostly whites and Asians. Throw in societal pressure and you can see why they feel like they have to be on board with some DEI program.

I hate DEI too, having sat through a few DEI sessions, but I also understand the issue of racial disparities in America and its significance, not to mention its current hold over society.
Your post is contradictory ...
  • It is a serious issue that minorities are so under-represented in many areas.
  • So a med school for example, has to determine what they want to do about the fact that they accept mostly whites and Asians.

So is it that minorities are under-represented or is it that African Americans under-represented? Is that because of T'Racism or because they're do not do as well in college and the MCAT as other groups?

Make the case that race or sex should be included in medical school admissions. Does one's sex or skin color impact one's ability to practice medicine? If your child is sick, do you want the best doctor or the token African American doctor?
Doc Holliday
Porteroso said:

The biggest issue with DEI is that it make the actual reason and cause to disparity worse.

Blaming the issue on something as simple as hatred or racism is extraordinarily elementary and incorrect. If only it was that simple.
KaiBear
Porteroso said:

Amazing how Asians do so well in a country full to the brim with white racists.

It must be that whites are only bigoted against specific shades of skin color.
Redbrickbear
KaiBear said:

Porteroso said:

But how many anti-Semites are here kali? I know you are very very worried about that
KaiBear
Redbrickbear said:

KaiBear said:

Porteroso said:

But how many anti-Semites are here kali? I know you are very very worried about that

Not overly concerned.

The overwhelming majority of white anti-Semantics are too stupid to successfully reproduce.

So their gene pool is shrinking with each passing generation.
Harrison Bergeron
Harrison Bergeron said:

Porteroso said:

• So a med school for example, has to determine what they want to do about the fact that they accept mostly whites and Asians.

So is it that minorities are under-represented or is it that African Americans under-represented? Is that because of T'Racism or because they're do not do as well in college and the MCAT as other groups?

Make the case that race or sex should be included in medical school admissions. Does one's sex or skin color impact one's ability to practice medicine? If your child is sick, do you want the best doctor or the token African American doctor?
ttt
Bueller?
Porteroso
Harrison Bergeron said:

Porteroso said:

When people talk about minorities they are rarely talking about Asians, but you are correct they should be included.

Also many black Americans are not African American, so I would not want to single that group out when all that matters here is optics.
Redbrickbear

Harrison Bergeron
Porteroso said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

Porteroso said:

When people talk about minorities they are rarely talking about Asians, but you are correct they should be included.

Also many black Americans are not African American, so I would not want to single that group out when all that matters here is optics.
But should particular races get special treatment just to have some magic percentage by race? As noted, if your child is facing life and death, would you want the unqualified black doctor or the best doctor available? Said another way, do you believe in DEI enough to sacrifice your child, or is it just cheap virtue signaling.
Jack Bauer
Redbrickbear said:

Trade school looks better every day.
Redbrickbear
Jack Bauer said:

Redbrickbear said:

Trade school looks better every day.

It's not always a bad idea but conservatives can not just give up on the culture forming institutions of modern America.

The university of Michigan has an $18 billion dollar endowment and educates 51,000 students.

[The university's alumni include 8 domestic and foreign heads of state or heads of government; 47 U.S. senators; 218 members of the U.S. House of Representatives; 42 U.S. Cabinet secretaries; 41 U.S. governors; and 26 living billionaires.[10] As of 2022, Wolverine athletes have won 188 medals at the Olympic Games]

You can just walk away a cede a place like that to the Left
Redbrickbear
[I am amazed, and pleased, by the incredible fallout from the Congressional testimony given by the presidents of Harvard, Penn (both Ivies) and MIT. As you will have heard or read, these college presidents disgraced themselves by struggling to answer basic questions about anti-Semitism on campus, and their race policies, in the wake of the Hamas atrocity. It has revealed what blithering anti-white racists these people are, and the institutions they run are. Jews got caught in this because they are white and are considered by the left to be "oppressors". The clips are everywhere, and they are devastating. Here's a link to one example.

As someone noted on Twitter yesterday, what we saw was ordinary bull**** from the academic world, but exposed to public, who can see what a pack of lies and cowardice it is. If you start pulling the thread, you'll see that this is exactly how soft totalitarianism works. "Soft" because there are no government agents standing over them with guns to their heads forcing them to act on this profoundly illiberal, racist ideology but it is totalitarianism nonetheless. Many have pointed out that what the three prominent university presidents say that even offensive speech must be protected is not necessarily wrong, but that they have all been staggering hypocrites about applying the rule. If a student or professor states that sex is biological and binary, it's the guillotine for that thought criminal (seriously, this happened at Harvard).
But if a mob of pro-Hamas campus demonstrators calls for genocide? Is that hate speech? "It depends on the context."

This appalling display reveals once again that the American ruling class is morally bankrupt. A sweeping statement, yes, but I believe it. The billionaire investor and Harvard alumnus Bill Ackman did his own private polling of Harvard faculty, who complained to him that it is impossible to say what you really think at Harvard, without fear of cancellation. Read his entire 1,700 word report, in the form of an open letter to Harvard president Claudine Gay. Last week, interviewing one of the dissidents jailed for opposing the Communist government of Czechoslovakia, I asked for a list of characteristics of totalitarianism. The first thing the man said was, "When you cannot speak the truth about reality out of fear of consequences."

This is Harvard! It's a soft-totalitarian madrassa and the most important university in the world. You wonder why all the American elites are on the same side ideologically? Because they were trained at these institutions. Because the ideology into which they have been groomed is their normal. Because dissent is not allowed.
Once again, I am reminded of what a European friend who spent a year at Harvard on a fellowship a few years back told me about the most important lesson he learned there: that the nascent American elite are too psychologically fragile to deal with ideas that trouble them, and that Harvard accommodates and reinforces that fragility. He told me that none of them doubt that they have the right to rule the world, but that they cannot abide dissent.

John Sailer of the National Association of Scholars explains in an important tweet what's going on here. Click on the tweet to watch his seminar going more in-depth:

Quote:

We can't understand what's going on at universities right now without understanding what's happened to faculty hiring. I've become convinced that this is the crux of so many issues in academia today. After investigating and writing on faculty hiring for over a year, I've found an evidence of widespread viewpoint discrimination and rampant racial preferences. (See my seminar at Stanford, which is linked below.) On civil rights law, universities act with a sense of impunity combined with a seeming ignorance of what the law actual requires. Even more concerning, they regularly adopt and encourage policies that perpetuate a narrow orthodoxy on campus.

In practice, the use of DEI litmus tests functions as a wide open call for weeding out scholars and scientists with even moderately controversial social and political views and especially those with the wrong beliefs on issues of social justice. To put it more concretely, universities regularly give additional points both in faculty hiring and in the promotion and tenure process for "contributions to DEI." At times, they gives a significant weight to DEI criterion, such that a bad diversity statement could sink a candidates' prospects, including in the hard sciences. It would be consistent with the most common guidance for a scientist or scholar to be rewarded for showing how they've conducted research on decolonization, hosted decolonization seminars and reading groups, and attended protests on and off campus for the cause of decolonization. (If you don't believe this, take a look at Emory University's rubric for evaluating diversity contributions, which I cite my seminar.) I strongly suspect that some young PhDs on the job market right now have noted in their diversity statements how they attended anti-Israel protests.

At the same time, the guidance provided by many universities (see UC Berkeley's rubric for assessing DEI, which I discuss in the seminar) would very clearly penalize a job candidate for the following statement: "I believe in treating students as individuals, not as members of groups. Because of this ideal, I strive to treat all of my students equally. I object to the practice of identity-based affinity groups, because we should never separate students on the basis of race." I'm not speculating about this (watch the seminar). At many universities, this would unequivocally land a job candidate a low DEI score.
The end result: a massive echo chamber, where dissenting voices are weeded out, self-select out, or simply decide that speaking up is too costly. We shouldn't be surprised when American university faculty members applaud Hamas's attack or valorize the image of a paraglider. University professors should be allowed to say whatever they want, even abhorrent nonsense. But they should be in an environment where espousing abhorrent nonsense will ultimately embarrass them. That's clearly not the case, in large part because institutional policy at universities favor narrow range of acceptable views. And while right now, the aftermath of the Hamas attack is the most salient example, this dynamic extends broadly.

From an excellent tweet by psychology professor Geoffrey Miller:

Quote:

The situation at Harvard is not unusual. The leaders of academia are not typically leading academics, in the sense of highly productive researchers or widely respected teachers. One might say they are career bureaucrats - but that would misunderstand their crucial ideological function. The American people need to understand that in modern universities, both public and private, administrators function more like party political officers in communist Russian or Chinese universities. They are selected, throughout their careers, largely for their political commitments, and their willingness to enforce them. Like Cold War commissars, their allegiance is to the party, not to academia where they happen to work.

I mean 'party' quite literally: the Democratic party. Most American university administrators are loyal Democrats, and can't really imagine why anyone wouldn't be. Very few are Republicans or Libertarians. And an increasing proportion of them are fully woke identitarian Leftists: they often launched their careers with a short series of papers on woke topics, using woke ideological frameworks, published in woke journals - before turning to the administrative track that offers much more political power to propagandize, indoctrinate, and control.

So what?', you might ask. I've seen many calls for university administrators to enforce the rules of classical liberalism and free speech more fairly. This is like asking a Soviet-era commissar to abandon their Communist party allegiance, and to develop an entirely new identity and ethos grounded in an ideology that they have spent their entire career fighting.
It will not happen. Political animals do not change their spots.

What do we do about this? I don't know, but I do know that this is a crossroads for our country, and indeed for our civilization.] -Rod Dreher
Redbrickbear
Redbrickbear
Redbrickbear
Redbrickbear
Wokeness's War On Excellence
You knew this was bound to happen:
Quote:

Chicago's progressive mayor has announced plans to axe the Windy City's high-achieving selective-enrollment schools to boost 'equity.'
Mayor Brandon Johnson's Board of Education has proposed shifting back toward neighborhood schools - away from the system where kids compete for selective programs.
But when he was campaigning to become Mayor, Johnson put out a statement saying that he would not get rid of Chicago's selective-enrollment schools.
More:
Quote:

Johnson's initiative would see kids automatically join the high school in their neighborhood, rather than giving them a chance to join a better school further afield.
Six years ago, Chicago Public Schools set up a new application system where every eighth grader could to apply for high school - rather than enrolling to their neighborhood school.
As a result, 76 percent of Chicago high schools do not attend their neighborhood schools. Instead, high-achieving students have joined institutions where their peers are as academically driven as themselves.
So now poor kids including poor black kids who are good at school will have to go back into crappy neighborhood schools where they will be bored out of their minds, and where they are likely to be bullied for "acting white" because they like studying. All because of "equity". This is cruel. The civic leadership of that city is destroying those good schools out of ideological spite.
Redbrickbear
[McKinsey & Company-the largest management consultancy in the world, the alumni of which include Pete Buttigieg and the geniuses who advised Purdue Pharma on how to "turbocharge" opioid sales have published four studies since 2015 ("Diversity Matters," "Delivering Through Diversity," "Diversity Wins," "Diversity Matters Even More") claiming that diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) initiatives enhance company profitability.

This "proof" has been used for the past decade to advance a leftist social engineering agenda under the guise of business acumen, corporate social responsibility, and fiduciary duty. Now, independent researchers are calling it what it is: blatant fraud, or, in the most charitable interpretation, gross incompetence...

https://www.theamericanconservative.com/dei-was-never-about-profitability/
Porteroso
Harrison Bergeron said:

Porteroso said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

Porteroso said:

But should particular races get special treatment just to have some magic percentage by race? As noted, if your child is facing life and death, would you want the unqualified black doctor or the best doctor available? Said another way, do you believe in DEI enough to sacrifice your child, or is it just cheap virtue signaling.

Seems i never answered, but obviously not. I am simply saying I can understand the conundrum. Representation really does matter. We could go back and forth a long time, but essentially we do have to do a better job getting people opportunities. And we can.
Harrison Bergeron
Porteroso said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

Porteroso said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

Porteroso said:

Seems i never answered, but obviously not. I am simply saying I can understand the conundrum. Representation really does matter. We could go back and forth a long time, but essentially we do have to do a better job getting people opportunities. And we can.
Honestly, what would you suggest?

There is a reason Asian, African, and Indian immigrants come to American penniless and create successful lives; and there is a reason we have invested more than $4T in welfare to African Americans and had affirmative action across the board for 50 years and they still cannot compete. The answer is not anything "we" need to do ...
KaiBear
Harrison Bergeron said:

Porteroso said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

Porteroso said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

Porteroso said:

There is a reason Asian, African, and Indian immigrants come to American penniless and create successful lives; and there is a reason we have invested more than $4T in welfare to African Americans and had affirmative action across the board for 50 years and they still cannot compete. The answer is not anything "we" need to do ...

Now what you have stated here should be patently obvious to anyone.

Unfortunately our society has created millions of 'educated' dummies incapable of rational thought.

Porteroso
Harrison Bergeron said:

Porteroso said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

Porteroso said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

Porteroso said:

I think much of our efforts have been wasted. As you say, much money, and legislation has been attempted, but I don't think it was all well spent or thought out. Certain things like the affordable housing act had the opposite effect as intended. It resegregated entire zip codes.

If I was dictator, I'd be generally phasing out efforts like affirmative action, and putting almost all the effort into education. Mostly pre college education, but also re-education programs for workforces whose industries have declined. I live in an extremely impoverished area that was once doing all right until US manufacturing started being hit. Once factory jobs dried up, an entire zip code was out of a job. Obviously I'm exaggerating.

A few other countries have had success by making sure these workforces have easy access to re-education for 50 year olds. We could also pay more attention to trade schools, in most states there is a wealth of legislation supporting university, and very little support for trade schools.

I have posted this many times but the best way to attack a lack of diversity is to equally attack generational poverty. We do not do a good job of providing lifelines out of poverty. You may think we do, but we do not. The vast majority of the impoverished only interact with other impoverished, go to failing schools filled with the impoverished, and have no community support for raising themselves out of their situation they are born into. My city and county routinely graduate 18 year olds that can't read at a 5th grade level. I have some experience volunteering around these people, going into one of the most dangerous zip codes in America. They have no idea what life is like outside their run down community. And it is hard to secure for yourself a future you can't even imagine.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.