New City Launches in Louisiana

922 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 15 days ago by GrowlTowel
Harrison Bergeron
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Lots of moving pieces in this story as the new municipality of St. George breaks away from Baton Rouge.

From the AP:
The Louisiana Supreme Court ruled 4-3 on Friday in favor of the proposed City of St. George, saying organizers followed the proper process for incorporation, overturning rulings by lower courts. The state's highest court ruled that St. George's plan for incorporation was reasonable and would be able to provide its residents with proper public services, The Advocate reported.

At a news conference Monday, St. George organizers said work is already underway on building out the new city government, the Advocate reported.

In 2020, the state Legislature created a five-member St. George Transition District that will serve as the taxing authority until an election is held to impose its municipal tax. Gov. Jeff Landry will select an interim mayor along with five council members. Following the first term, St. George residents will vote for its leaders.
---
muddybrazos
Congrats to the people who live in St George. Baton Rouge is mad bc they don't get to keep all the tax money from St George to waste and misuse. Buckhead tried to do this in Atlanta but got shot down. I dont feel as bad for Buckhead bc most of its citizens are super libs who vote blue so they should get to live with the consequences of the policies they supported.
Realitybites
Really needs to happen in San Antonio with the areas between roughly I10 and 281l, north of 1604.

You are already seeing the Saint Charles Missouri - Saint Louis Missouri dynamic developing with Fort Worth and Dallas.

Representative government does not involve subsidizing and being ruled by those who want to destroy your way of life.
Redbrickbear
Map of the new city…

Map of the area by crime…darker the blue the more crime

william
hmmmmmm.......

Imagines DaleVille splitting from Huaco.

DaleVille - Pop 1.

- KKM

{ sipping Ruby Red grapefruit Juice }

D!

POE.
Redbrickbear
Same thing is happening in Atlanta

Harrison Bergeron
An argument could be made that at some point cities become too large and to diverse to be adequately governed by the current mechanisms in a way to fairly represents all citizens and attempts to serve all equally. The radical, regressive left's tribal obsession frequently localizes national issues such as crime or homelessness in ways that harm all citizens.
ABC BEAR
Secession fever is the latest pandemic to sweep America. Unfurl the stars and bars over city hall.
Redbrickbear
ABC BEAR said:

Secession fever is the latest pandemic to sweep America. Unfurl the stars and bars over city hall.

The USA was founded on secession…you do know that right?

The Founding Fathers were the original secessionists and "insurrectionists"

Harrison Bergeron
ABC BEAR said:

Are you under the impression we are English subjects, or did you ever take a history class?
Redbrickbear
Harrison Bergeron said:

ABC BEAR said:

Are you under the impression we are English subjects, or did you ever take a history class?

Texans are also free from the control of Mexico City thanks to some secessionists
Whiskey Pete
ABC BEAR said:

Nah, it pales in comparison to the protest fever that is the current pandemic.
ScottS
william said:

hmmmmmm.......

DaleVille - Pop 1.

- KKM

D!

Next thing you know Bremond will attempt a breakaway.
william
ScottS said:

william said:

hmmmmmm.......

DaleVille - Pop 1.

- KKM

D!

Next thing you know Bremond will attempt a breakaway.
Bremond does favor the Bold.

- KKM

She always has.........

{ needing coffee }

{ wanting donut }
POE.
Kingdom Bear
Harrison Bergeron said:

An argument could be made that at some point cities become too large and to diverse to be adequately governed by the current mechanisms in a way to fairly represents all citizens and attempts to serve all equally. The radical, regressive left's tribal obsession frequently localizes national issues such as crime or homelessness in ways that harm all citizens.

Well said.
The Kingdoms of this world have become the Kingdoms of our God and of His Christ. ~Revelation 11:15. Stand. Repent. Build.
Thee University
The South was correct!
"The education of a man is never completed until he dies." - General Robert E. Lee
ABC BEAR
Harrison Bergeron said:

ABC BEAR said:

My comment was more or less tongue-in-cheek, even though Buckhead and St. George may be nascent signs of what's to come.

ShooterTX
Realitybites said:

Really needs to happen in San Antonio with the areas between roughly I10 and 281l, north of 1604.

You are already seeing the Saint Charles Missouri - Saint Louis Missouri dynamic developing with Fort Worth and Dallas.

Representative government does not involve subsidizing and being ruled by those who want to destroy your way of life.
yep.

Stone Oak should have incorporated when it was first created in the 1980s... biggest mistake ever.

If this sort of thing is allowed to happen in Texas, the city of San Antonio is going to be in BIG trouble! Can't wait to see it happen!
ShooterTX
GrowlTowel
ShooterTX said:

Realitybites said:

yep.

Stone Oak should have incorporated when it was first created in the 1980s... biggest mistake ever.

If this sort of thing is allowed to happen in Texas, the city of San Antonio is going to be in BIG trouble! Can't wait to see it happen!
I grew up in San Antonio and lived in this part of town. In 1980, Loop 1604 was still four lanes, undivided there. I basically lived on the edge of town at Bitters Rd. By 1992 when I graduated from high school, Stone Oak had all the roads but almost no houses. - great place to "park."

I never moved back after college. The last time I was in SA was 2016 and it was surprising to see my old neighbor is basically mid-town now.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.